Making Dante's Dream come true.

2 Apr 2015

The Lady of the Lake

Last month I started cutting and sewing a houppelande. I had never made one and I thought it would be more complicated than it seemed. Pattern wise, it's not really complex, but the small details make it look correct. This was a project made out of 'already owned' materials, since I can't afford buying fabrics these days, so not everything is period correct as I would love. However, since I wanted to make this for a fantasy themed photo shoot, I'm not too bothered.



I really loved this kind of sleeves, but I didn't have enough fabric to line mine, so I had to finish them with bias tape made out of the same fabric. I made inner tight sleeves, a belt and a collar out of some golden taffeta I had though (would have loved lining the outer sleeves with the same taffeta too, but it wasn't enough). 


Since blue is a recurrent colour in Medieval depictions I chose some royal blue upholstery damask I had to make mine, of course, not a natural fabric, but as I said, all I used were materials I already owned. 


For the pictures, I left the hem unfinished. We (the boyfriend and me) went to the mountains where the terrain is rough and I got into a small waterfall! The place was perfect. So if the skirt was damaged with water and/or rocks, I had some spare centimetres to cut and sew the hem correctly. I just need to remember that for the next time I'm wearing it. 



As you can see my inspiration for this is the Lady of the Lake legend, I also had had this Medieval forged sword with me for some years and barely used it! So I simply had to use it for something. I also made the hairstyle myself, since it's not too complicated either... And put LOTS of glitter on my face to look more magical but it's completely unseen in the pictures *sigh*


This is one of the final shots I chose, which you can see on our Facebook page too (I will be uploading some more). I really like the result and this was such a fun little trip to make! Now, on to finish my next project... I'm really excited for that too! 

20 comments:

  1. What an amazing dress, you look so magical! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, so glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. It is beautiful, and you look radiant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this. I hope I can get to this level in my sewing skills/motivation someday soon. :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks for your comment :) My skills aren't that good... I'm just pretty stubborn! You can do it too, I'm sure!

      Delete
  4. Lizzie!!! Que te había perdido la pista, con el lío que me traigo ahora con el peque y como ya no te pasas por Anacrónicos...
    Me encanta el vestido, la hechura y por supuesto la tela, tiene un brillo increíble.Parece seda.
    Y tú maravillosa en las fotos, como siempre.
    Un besote guapísima.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola guapa! Soy un desastre, acabo de entrar aquí otra vez después de casi medio año... así que imagínate para entrar en el foro. Es que no tengo tiempo. Estoy más por Facebook e Instagram porque lo tengo más "a mano". Espero que todo bien con el baby que ya no debe ser baby para nada eh :) No es seda jaja, es tela de tapicería y cortinas y tal pero da le pego, la tengo en mil colores. Un abrazo!!

      Delete